Friday, April 19, 2013

Online Teaching Experiences

Teaching and learning are changing on a daily basis. New tools for collaboration and interaction are constantly being developed and released. The options are nearly limitless for educators looking to bring technology and online learning into their classrooms.

In my own classroom, I try to incorporate online learning experiences as much as possible. When I use digital tools, I find that my students are engaged in the content, curious about how the tools work, and eager to be a part of a collaborative community where they can demonstrate their knowledge. In the past, I have used a variety of Web 2.0 tools including WebQuests, educational gaming, as well as online research, and various other online projects. Because I have a very tight schedule during the day, it would be difficult to incorporate online discussions with experts and other students. Although I believe my language learning students would benefit from this kind of online interaction, timing and schedules would hinder this activity.

One online learning tool that I have yet to incorporate into my classroom is podcasting. My language learning students could greatly benefit from this kind of tool. Earlier in the year, we made audio recordings using SoundCloud. We recorded personal introductions, greetings, dialogue between partners, as well as some of our small group discussions. However, we have yet to post our recordings online for others to listen to. What I like about this kind of online learning experience is that my students can be consumers and producers. There is a lot of amazing content online created by students for students. But more importantly,  my students can write, direct, and star in our own podcasts. This makes me think of some of the old radio programs that used to be on. I can envision using music and sound effects to make our stories come alive. When using only the audio component, students will have to really think about what should be said and what the audience can hear. I think podcasting can cover a variety of subjects and content matter, but for my students I would focus on writing, online research, speaking, listening, and digital citizenship.

To introduce podcasting to my small groups of students, we will first explore podcasts that other students have created. After we have explored good podcasts (and not so good podcasts), we will compile a list of things that should be included in our own podcasts such as clear speaking, manageable chunks of information, and a 2-3 minute time limit. I will demonstrate how to use recording software such as SoundCloud or Audacity, and we will work together to make a group podcast. Then I will break students into pairs and they will create their own script for an original podcast. We will share our creations with others and leave feedback for other projects.

Unfortunately, many of the links listed under Podcast/Videocast in Michigan Merit Curriculum Online Experience Guideline Companion Document were unavailable or outdated. I went searching online for information about podcasting and found a new helpful resources.

9 Podcasts for Teachers and Kids - Fun learning for kids, plus tips and talk for teachers.
Podcasts in the Elementary Classroom: Tools for Teachers and Students - some great tips and ideas for using podcasting in the classroom, as well as lots of external links to other resources.




4 comments:

  1. Great idea! I've used SoundCloud with my students for teaching French, and I love the idea of podcasting so the students can share their work. I've also used iMovie, "Show Me", and "Educreations" for the kids to create little videos. Show Me and Educreations are apps on my iPad, so only one group can record at a time.

    Thanks for finding some updated links for podcasting! I've already bookmarked them to see if I can apply it in my French classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:22 PM

    I have not heard of SoundCloud until now. I will definitely try using it and implementing this as part of my learning goals. Thank you for an amazing podcasting update!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I feel like an "old teacher"! I've used podcasting, but I've ALWAYS used Audacity to record and edit our podcasts. By the sounds of it, it is time for me to get with the times and try out SoundCloud. I like that it is web-based too, cutting out the need to download and update software.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You idea for podcasting sounds like a lot of fun for the kids. I really like the vision that you have for the project! You gave some great ideas and it makes me think about trying to incorporate podcasting into my classroom! Thanks for your post :)

    ReplyDelete