Sunday, June 23, 2013

Inspiring Passion & Curiosity with Technology

Technology allows me the affordance of easily exploring my interests, as well as investigating new ideas. I like dabbling in video/photo/audio editing, various kinds of digital design, as well as creating original materials for my class. I use a variety of bookmarking tools to help me keep track of ideas. The tech tools I regularly use are too numerous to mention in this post. Recent favorites include PicLits, WorkFlowy, TubeChop, PicMonkey, Weebly, and most recently DomoAnimate.

I am reminded of the recent phone interview I completed last fall for my first teaching job. We talked for a good 30 minutes and toward the end the principal asked me this question.
Interviewer: "What would you do if a student said your class was boring?"
Me: (Thinking) "Well, that's pretty much impossible!"
Interviewer: (Laughing) "That's the best answer we've heard all day!"
I love this true story because I think it really shows how I feel about what I do. It is not just some job, it is my life and passion. I am constantly striving to improve and grow. My students notice that and want to join me on our journey for knowledge! As educators, we are powerful forces demonstrating curiosity and an eagerness to learn, simply by personally modeling it. As the adult in the classroom, you are the role model for students about how to approach learning. Is it a chore, simply another task to be accomplished? Or is learning something that engages your mind and requires use of your unique talents? Every moment is an opportunity to learn something new about this amazing world we live in. My brain gets a happy feeling when I am learning, perhaps the sensation of synapses connecting in new and interesting ways. I love to learn and feel privileged that I get to share that learning with my students every day!

Technology is a vast playground of digital learning and educators have the responsibility to model and teach appropriate use of technology tools, allowing for student input and decision making along the way. Using technology is an incredible way to peak student interest about new ideas. Technology should not only be used by teachers for teaching students, but students should also be able to use technology tools to research interests and new ideas. Students should then be allowed to express their knowledge using technology. Teachers can give students the freedom to choose a technology tool to demonstrate content mastery. This gives students input and the ability to make decisions about their own learning. Teachers then take the role of an advisor or facilitator, guiding students on their personal journey of learning. There is no better job in the world in my opinion!

Please find below my something I created using something. It demonstrates the main ideas from this post. This was the first time I used DomoAnimate and am happy with the options available, as well as ease of use.


DomoNation.com:
Inspiring Passion & Curiosity with Technology
by MrsGalbreath

Like it? Create your own at DomoNation.com. It's free and fun!



1 comment:

  1. I love it! I have not seen this before and I want to it to our 21Things4Students course. I think the students could be really creative with it, This does demonstrate your love of technology and your creativity.
    What a great reply to your principal.

    ReplyDelete