Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Tech Survey

I created a survey using Google Forms to share with my colleagues to learn about their current use of technology, as well as possible options for future technology professional development. Here is the link to the survey. Here is a short video about using Google Forms.

After reviewing responses from 15 colleagues, I noticed a few trends. My survey included questions about comfort level with different kinds of technologies. Most of my colleagues are pretty comfortable doing the basics on the computer including sending email and creating documents. Some of the more specialized tech tasks such as creating spreadsheets, posting to blogs or wikis, recording or editing audio/video, or collaborating online were less familiar to my colleagues. The majority of my colleagues also responded that they were unsure who to go to when faced with a tech problem. It is clear, however, that my colleagues believe technology can increase student learning and are eager to learn more about it themselves. My colleagues are especially interested in learning more about our Kunos and Google Play apps. All teachers at the elementary level received Kunos (Android tablets) in December, but our district has yet to offer any professional development regarding this new tech tool. Colleagues are also interested in ways that students can use technology.

We do our students a disservice if we are not training them how to use these modern tools. With this in mind, I plan to start a Tech Club for 4th and 5th graders at my school for the Fall. My hope is that students can become the "go-to expert" with a particular piece of software or app, even creating tutorials to share what they know with teachers and students.

With the information I gained from the survey, I will be planning technology professional development for my colleagues at my school starting this Fall. We will meet once a month before school to talk about specific software, apps, and interesting ways to incorporate technology into the classroom on a daily basis to maximize learning and minimize downtime. I am hoping that these meetings will help to alleviate some of the uneasiness and hesitation many of my colleagues have about technology. In the right hands, technology is an incredible tool for learning.

On a related note, I am quite excited for the Literacy Technology Education Conference (LTEC) tomorrow in Indy! This conference is part of Indiana DOE's Summer of eLearning initiative. Looks like they are offering some really great break-out sessions. I am hoping to come away from the conference with new tools and new ideas!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, what initiative! That is how I ended up where I am now. I started doing peer coaching and lunch and learns. I loved it so much that I applied at our regional service agency, got the job and then a year later started teaching for MSU on the side. So you never know what will happen in your educational path.
    Looking forward to hearing what you learned about at your conference!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete